Controllers, Flight Model & Gimbals, What Can We Expect?

AFAIK probably the best lefty (it actually can be changed from right to left or vice-versa) available off the shelf currently is the Thrustmaster T16000M...not expensive, Hall sensors for accuracy, twist axis, but it doesn't have a lot of buttons...uses the rather old-school button layout from early Thrustmaster and Logitech sticks. Beyond that you have to look into custom solutions.

For a righty stick, I'm pretty much sold on the Russian Sukhoi-style Cobra and Mamba sticks...no, the grips are not made of metal like the Warthog, but the ergonomics on the VKB sticks is by far the best I've ever used.

AFAIK probably the best lefty (it actually can be changed from right to left or vice-versa) available off the shelf currently is the Thrustmaster T16000M...not expensive, Hall sensors for accuracy, twist axis, but it doesn't have a lot of buttons...uses the rather old-school button layout from early Thrustmaster and Logitech sticks. Beyond that you have to look into custom solutions.

For a righty stick, I'm pretty much sold on the Russian Sukhoi-style Cobra and Mamba sticks...no, the grips are not made of metal like the Warthog, but the ergonomics on the VKB sticks is by far the best I've ever used.
I use 2xT1600Ms.

Relatively affordable, Hall Effect sensors (great precision, longevity, and action), 3-axes plus throttle slider each (i.e. it has twist Z axis), and it truly ambidextrous.

They have great action and precision, especially for the price. They also are true ambidextrous since you can move the palm and thumb rest. Last year, I saw them go on sale at least twice for ~$25 a pop- quite simply a steal.

The only downsides would be the buttons- a relative lack and somewhat cheap feeling- and (at least at first) the base glowing green can be a bit annoying and you have to open it up and physically break that circuit to turn it off (in short time I found I hardly noticed this though and if you can customize a cockpit to have green HUD then it can actually be kind of neat). Voice commands can really overcome the lack of buttons in my experience.

In any case ~$100 or less for a dual joystick setup and it is 1) a blast and 2) the closest thing you will get to actual controls in a spacecraft. Lots of fun once you get used to it and that, in my experience, did not take very long.

bob

Alpha Squadron
I would love to have someone alpha test the king's assembly playing this - when it gets funded...
dual mouse/keyboard with thumb sticks. i'm thinking it'll do pretty good.

Friendly

sounds interesting, cman. didn't Logitech have something like that a long time ago? I recall someone having something just like that. dual analog controllers on either side of a keyboard.

Friendly

that's not what I was talking about...I WANTS WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT THOUGH! :cool:

that is so sweet and badass! :D

this is what I was talking about:

Friendly

agreed! is the Mek-Fu availabie yet? what's it's asking price?

Friendly

awwww shit! :(

edit - let's hope someone gets inspired enough to bring something like this back to life, but focused on flight/space sim's. :)

bob

Alpha Squadron
That is awesome and crazy. Too bad it's vapourware though, i'd love to give it a try.

I think the dual mouse could act quite similarly to dual joysticks if you had an acceleration rather than absolute movement mode - along with a disable key so you can re-position as necessary.
Include with that the rotation feedback and the thumb sticks you would have all your DOF you'd need. I'm thinking it will definitely take a learning curve though.

I'm picturing something like

Left mouse, ship movement (2-axis + twist) - left/right thrust, up/down thrust, & rotate yaw left/right
Left thumb, ship movement (2-axis) - pitch up/down, roll left/right

Right mouse, gun orientation (2-axis + twist) - left/right, up/down - & rotate ship yaw left/right (cause why not?)
Right thumb, ship movement (2-axis) - pitch up/down, roll left/right (doubling up because i can?)

I'm not so sure about the right ones, this may be weird, and depends i guess on how independent the firing arc's on your ship are. I also don't know how a space ship would handle flight(Ha) fully yet, since depending on their ship designs, the thruster configuration and the efficiency of each thrusters it would dictate a lot of the general focus of your controls.
ie, one main forward with minor other orientations would mean you are always pointing in the center of your radius for course corrections, regardless of firing arcs. With similar thrusters (sphere ship idea) you could instead utilize all your thrusters equally, effectively detaching the ships orientation from firing arcs.

Friendly

was thinking about how a trackball system might work out for this, except there's not enough buttons (5 at most?) to do well enough for a primary controller.

but that said, Face says he's using two T1600's and it's working.

something a guy I know off another PC forum has done with his HOTAS:

very cool, just have to make sure the tripod's will go low enough with all the legs sheathed so it's comfortable to use when sitting.

bob

Alpha Squadron
was thinking about how a trackball system might work out for this, except there's not enough buttons (5 at most?) to do well enough for a primary controller.

but that said, Face says he's using two T1600's and it's working.

something a guy I know off another PC forum has done with his HOTAS:

very cool, just have to make sure the tripod's will go low enough with all the legs sheathed so it's comfortable to use when sitting.
well... how many buttons did you want to have?

Are 70 buttons enough?

bob

Alpha Squadron

CyprezGod

Personally I think you'd be better off with another joystick because the orbweaver focuses so much on the extra macro keys over the joystick, but seeing as you need more control of the ship, you'd want a more predominate joystick no?

bob

Alpha Squadron
That's where i'm on the fence until i try the mouse style.
Not having a mechanical autocentre that the joysticks have (even if they don't, the feel is there) the dual mouse might be a disappointment and maybe a showstopper. I think however you can do an absolute thrust controller along with a mouse enable/disable feature to zero your mouse whenever you want. (ie you use absolute control of the 2-axis, but upon mouse disable they all return to 0)
... of course now that i'm thinking of it, the next version or mod would be to put each KA in a joystick base...
it's all moot of course if they never get the darn thing finished of course...

Friendly

how many axis does the orbweaver's thumb stick have? it likely doesn't have z axis twist right and works more like an analog controller stick?

bob

Alpha Squadron
how many axis does the orbweaver's thumb stick have? it likely doesn't have z axis twist right and works more like an analog controller stick?
The product specs show it as a 8-way directional thumbpad. This could mean anything from a 2-axis joystick with zones, to literally 8 buttons with a circle pad on top... I love vague specs - does anyone actually have one? Does it have gradient movement?